Monday 13 December 2010

Russia 1855-1917 Update

I've now finished my notes for Russia 1855-1917, using a combination of the the AQA Tsarist Russia book, Russia 1848-1917 by Jonathan Bromley, and The Modernisation of Russia 1856-1985 by John Laver. The notes have been organised into the 5 topics for the unit.

I'm still a bit gutted that I won't be able to sit the exam in June and, instead, will have to wait just over a year to sit it. This will mean rethinking my plan of how to tackle the A Level and, ironically, will force me back to my original plan of really immersing myself in the material. My plan now is to:

1. December - February: Spend time reading some general texts on the topic. I'm currently reading Across the Revolutionary Divide by Theodore Weeks, and after that I have A People's Tragedy by the naughty Orlando Figes and The End of Imperial Russia by Peter Waldron on my Xmas list.

2. February - April: Move onto the next topic, Britain & Appeasement, 1919-40. As with Russia, I'll use a combination of the ICS pack and some supplementary texts.

3. May - September: I'm going to see whether my tutor will supervise the coursework part of the A2 in this period. If not, I'll spend my time doing the day-job and reading more general texts.

4. September - January 2012: hardcore revision time, involving producing plans and drafts of as many past questions as I can get my hand on.

1 comment: